Besides learning good money management skills, knowing that your satisfaction about your financial status is in direct proportion to the expectations you have for your life, will give you an increased sense of control over your finances.
The wider the gap between your current lifestyle and your expectations, the more lack and deprivation you will experience. In other words, feeling “wealthy” is relative to your expectations and is not solely determined by the actual amount in your bank account.
Our collective global culture has become so fixated on the idea that prosperity is a result of the accumulation of material wealth. The images of the rich and famous that inundate the media, tempts us to chase a sparkling mirage of the “good life”. By comparing ourselves to these individuals, we can become frustrated about our financial limitations.
While I agree that financial freedom can make your life a whole lot easier and give you more options and flexibility in life- it definitely does not guarantee a sense of lasting fulfillment and joy.
Once you are beyond the point of having all your basic needs met, your life satisfaction is going to depend on your psychology.
I have met traditionally wealthy people whose fortunes meant nothing to them and they always felt “poor” in spirit. The shiniest toys or the most luxurious vacations would not stir any passion within them. For whatever reason, there was a void within them that money simply could not fill.
On the other hand, I have met some average Joe’s who felt incredibly abundant and alive. I remember being a lucky passenger of a cab driver in New York who was one of the chirpiest and bubbliest people I have ever met. He was a passionate Italian American who had the most profound philosophies on life, which he shared with me during the long drive.
After many years of trying to figure out the secret to the cab driver’s sunny disposition, I finally had a breakthrough. I realized that the key to his abundant mindset was his focus on meeting the needs of spirit more than the needs of his ego.
The needs of the spirit are of the non-material realm- love, joy, contribution, etc. It is by meeting these needs that you will actually reach this transcendental state of joy and abundance. This is a spiritual truth that has been passed on by the greatest sages and spiritual teachers from the past.
If you are guided by your ego, you will always find yourself trying to “keep up with the Joneses” and hurt yourself in the process.
So based on this truth, here are some ways that you can build an abundant mindset, no matter how much money is in your bank account:
- Get real and organized about your financial position: Acknowledge and accept where you are when it comes to your finances. Create a budget to get a realistic view on your money situation. Awareness is the first step.
- Set goals and an action plan to improve your financial portfolio: Think about what you want next in your financial future. Do you want to eliminate credit card debt? Do you want to begin earning more? Unless you take action, nothing is going to change.
- Treat yourself: It’s important to not slip into a deprivation mentality by rewarding yourself with affordable treats once in a while, such as a nice massage or a fun trip.
- Manage your expectations: Remember that your level of satisfaction will be based on the expectations you have set for yourself. Accept where you are on your journey and take comfort in knowing that you are doing your best to move towards your goals.
- Find happiness in the simple things: Enjoy doing things that don’t cost a lot of money, such as a walk on the beach or in the park, playing with your kids or creative art. Focus on finding inexpensive ways to generate positive emotions.
- Focus on giving: Volunteering or helping other people out will only bring your good Karma but also brings a deep sense of fulfillment. Without a doubt, one of the best ways to feel good about yourself is by helping others and kindness.
- Be grateful: Be grateful for what you already have. If you take the time to look around you, you will notice just how blessed you are. You probably have a life that many people would love to have, yet so often we take our life for granted and don’t appreciate the small things.
Look around you and take a moment to appreciate your natural surroundings: from the lush trees, to the wide open sky and the water that fills our oceans. Our planet has always offered this natural abundance that give us the gift of life. Take it all in and realize that you are always connected to this overflowing bountiful energy.
All my best on your journey,
Question for you: What does real abundance look and feel like to you? What are some of the things that you do or can do to create a more abundant mindset?
Did you like this post? Sign up below and I’ll send you more awesome posts like this every week.